Saturday, April 5, 2014

Flare Seems to be Mostly Down

According to the Daily Telegram (March 25, 2014), Savoy began piping the previously flared gas to an oil-processing facility in Adrian Township  from March 14 on. This is good news and long time passed due. Slowly becoming cynical, my explanation is that this winter brought up gas prices and now it is finally "financially doable" for Savoy to do the long-time over-due right thing. However, I always find a "hair in the soup" of a seeingly just good thing. Savoy is presently using a compressor and dehydrator that does not require a DEQ Air Unit permit despite the fact that it constantly emits benzene and other VOCs - this time unburned and thus in full potency - but admittedly, in much less concentration than from the flare under bad conditions. The DEQ Air Quality Division, Jackson District is currently working on a permit that will allow Savoy to use a more powerful dehydrator that will require a permit currently under consideration. Scott Miller from the DEQ told me that Savoy also plans to install a condenser, which would reduce (hopefully) emissions. I attach a image of the PDF I received from Scott below.





2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately this morning at approximately 9 a.m. ET, there were substantial nuisance orders around the Witt Farm site! Any idea on how to lodge a complaint with the county and/or city? I feel that I should have a hazmet suit on whenever I drive thru that stretch of road. Pat Bogusz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to have you back Pat! Please report any complaints to Kristie Shimko, DEQ, Office of Oil, Gas, and Minerals, Lansing District Office, 517-242-6847, ShimkoK@michigan.gov
      Please let me know how your service abroad went...

      Best, Tom

      Delete